What Works in Teaching Math?
12 Powerful Words
Larry Bell is a national speaker. He talks about closing the achievement gap. He has suggested 12 Powerful Words that every student should know starting in kindergarten. These words trip up students on standardized tests.
- Trace – an indication that something has been present
- Analyze – break down into components or essential features
- Infer – conclude by reasoning
- Evaluate – estimate the nature, quality, ability or significance of
- Formulate – prepare according to instructions
- Describe – give a statement representing something
- Support – the act of bearing the weight of or strengthening
- Explain – make plain and comprehensible
- Summarize -present the main points in a concise form
- Compare – examine and note the similarities or differences of
- Contrast – the opposition or dissimilarity of things that are compared
- Predict – tell in advance